The shoulder and elbow are two of the most complex joints in the body, and as such, require the care of experienced orthopaedic specialists. The shoulder and elbow specialists at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital have extensive knowledge and skill in treating a wide range of shoulder and elbow conditions, giving athletes and active patients the best chance for a safe and healthy return to normal activities.
Shoulder and elbow evaluation
Every patient has an evaluation to determine the exact nature of the problem, which consists of a personal medical history, imaging studies (X-rays and MRIs) and a thorough physical examination. After the evaluation, your shoulder and elbow specialist will make a recommendation for treatment.
Consider these facts:
- Our fellowship-trained surgeons are nationally renowned in performing both complex and routine shoulder and elbow surgical procedures.
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital performs more shoulder replacement surgeries than any other hospital in central Maryland.
- Our shoulder specialists perform the large majority of our surgical cases using arthroscopy, a minimally invasive technique, using small incisions and a tiny camera to make repairs.
- Our surgeons teach other orthopaedic surgeons across the United States how to perform these procedures. These surgeons often visit MedStar Union Memorial Hospital to watch and learn how these procedures are performed.
- We lead cutting-edge research in new techniques for elbow reconstruction, rotator cuff tendon healing studies and outcome studies for shoulder replacements.
- Arthroscopic surgical procedures are performed using the latest equipment and techniques.
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital is home to two shoulder and elbow fellowship-trained surgeons, who are among a few surgeons nationwide who perform reverse shoulder replacement, a relatively new procedure for patients with severe shoulder damage.
Areas of specialty:
- Arthroscopic surgery of shoulder and elbow
- Reverse shoulder replacement
- Shoulder and elbow arthritis
- Rotator cuff tears
- Shoulder and elbow dislocations
- Shoulder and elbow replacement
- Sports injuries including throwing injuries
- Frozen shoulder
Call Us Today
To find an orthopaedic specialist: