MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute’s cardiac surgeons are the best in the region and among the finest in the nation—that has a lot to do with our commitment to a team approach to care. Our cardiac surgeons work in teams with other cardiac experts, including cardiac imaging specialists, interventional cardiologists, pulmonologists, radiologists, and nurses to complete the entire picture for each patient.
The advantage of experience
We are one of the highest volume cardiac surgery centers in the central Maryland and Washington regions. Our entire team sees a large number of patients per year; volume and experience also translate into great outcomes based on best practice. We continually refine surgical techniques, so you receive the least invasive surgical option that will also bring the best long-term results.
Better patient care
We have compiled a cardiac surgery database containing data on more than 60,000 cases from the past 30 years. This unique resource helps us continually improve patient care. It gives our physicians a direct window on the practices and approaches that produce the most successful outcomes for our patients. Few cardiac centers have anything like it.
Our information management and communications capabilities are powerful resources for integrating MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute services and locations, from enabling real-time sharing of patient images and data to supporting electronic medical records. This means you can receive informed care no matter your location at one of our MedStar hospitals, or at our MedStar satellite locations.
Advanced heart surgical care
Consider these facts:
- Nearly half of our CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft) procedures are performed off-pump (without using a heart and lung machine), which speeds recovery and reduces bleeding, neurologic impairment and other complications.
- We are one of the few hospitals in the region to offer the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR), a minimally invasive procedure performed for severe aortic stenosis.
- Our patients have access to clinical trials and better methods to prevent and treat cardiac and vascular disease.
Read more about the ways in which MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute cares for your heart.
- Aneurysm Repair
- Beating Heart Bypass
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Surgery
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Leadless Defibrillator: Subcutaneous Implantable Defibrillator
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD)
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
Call Us Today
To find a heart specialist, call: