A heart attack, also known as a myocardial infarction, occurs when an area of heart muscle dies or is permanently damaged due to an inadequate supply of oxygen to that area.
Heart Attack Symptoms
- Chest pain or other pain, which radiates from the chest to the arms or shoulder; neck, teeth, or jaw; abdomen or back. The pain can be intense and severe or quite subtle and confusing and can feel like:
- Squeezing or heavy pressure
- A tight band on the chest
- An elephant sitting on your chest
- Bad indigestion
- Feeling of impending doom
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Sweating, which may be profuse
Note: Women may experience different symptoms than men; click to read more about our Women’s Heart Program.
Both medication and surgery are options for treating heart attack patients:
Call Us Today
To find a heart specialist, call: