It's not just about losing weight. It's about regaining your health. It's a chance to say goodbye to high cholesterol, diabetes, sleep apnea, and joint problems. It’s about a better quality of life for your future.
Weight loss surgery can change your life, and MedStar Health, with programs in the central Maryland and Washington, D.C., region, will support you, step by step, through the entire process.
From valuable pre-surgery education and weight loss strategies customized for you, to an accessible team of professionals and support through your recovery, MedStar Health helps you establish a path toward healthy living that can benefit your entire family.
MedStar Health’s bariatric program has three steps: pre-surgery, surgery, and post-surgery. Surgery may get the most attention, but the presurgical and postsurgical periods are crucial to the success of the operation and your continuing health.
- Preoperative weight management program: You begin with a monitored weight loss program. This lasts three to six months, depending on your previous documented weight management and your insurance requirements. You must have evidence of weight loss during this period to undergo the surgery.
- Surgery: Following successful completion of the weight management program, you undergo the bariatric surgery operation.
- Follow-up: This is the most important step. We are committed to follow-up care with you for at least five years, but ideally the rest of your life. It is important to monitor your weight loss, your diet, and overall health.
Learn more about:
- Types of Bariatric Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery Candidacy
- Pre- and Post Surgical Support
- In-home Bariatric Care